Sunday, September 22, 2013

Lessons from Batman

I'll start by saying I have absolutely no idea whose child this is. So, if you're reading this and he belongs to you, I apologize for 1. Creepily taking pictures of your child during service, 2. Posting it on the Internet, and 3. Using it as the content for a blog post. 
But, this boy blew me away today.

If any of you don't go to Relevant Community Church (you probably should), and you missed the appearance of Batman. As we entered the last set of worship during first service today, this small, little Batman trotted up to the front of the stage. He just stood there for a couple of songs taking in the sight of Taylor leading worship and the bright lights. Occasionally, he'd turn around to see who was behind him and lift his mask to get a better look, but for the majority of the time he stood captivated by what was before him.

I laughed. And, couldn't help but think of the way Jesus loves children and asks us to be just like them. "Jesus said, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these'" Matthew 19:14. 

I want to be like a child.

There he was, approaching the stage with confidence, not caring what anyone else in the room thought. Did I mention he was wearing a Batman costume? Very appropriate following a sermon on Ephesians 6 - the armor of God. 

Basically, this kid is my role model. 

He has no fear of man. That's what I want my relationship with Jesus to look like all the time. I don't want to care what Jesus-loving or non-Jesus loving people are watching, I just want to be with Him. And, I want to stand right by Him, watching how He does things, learning from Him, standing in wonder. 

I want to have armed myself with the armor of the Lord, so that not only is He fighting for me, but also protecting me. 

And, even though my first priority is putting on Jesus, it'd be super cool if I was wearing a Batman costume, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment