Monday, August 8, 2011

Rejoice in the Lord Always

Agandi!


It's a greeting in what will (hopefully) be a language I can speak or communicate in sometime during my stay here in Uganda! This week has already been full of adventures as I began going through inland orientation. Saturday will be the beginning of another one as I engage in language and begin learning Runyankole, the local language in Mbarara. Thanks to a couple of local Ugandans I've had the pleasure of picking up a few words!

Yesterday I had the crazy experience of learning how to hire and ride on a boda boda. After catching the first boda down to the end of the lane to Entebbe Road, Carolyn and I were smothered by the other boda drivers waiting for their next riders. It was truly an overwhelming site. Carolyn and I were the only muzungus (the local word for "white") which made us quite the attraction. As the boda drivers continued to block the two of us in, preventing us from walking away, we were definitely praying for our other companions to arrive at the spot to meet us. The scene only escalated as one boda driver took the keys out of another boda and threw them across the ditch into the grass on the side of the hill to prevent him from being our driver! Thankfully, the others showed up soon and all order was restored.


Carolyn and I reached a new level of comfort with each other as we squeezed in tight to ride the boda together. It felt good to get out of the compound and see some of the Ugandan scenery. A few of the places we were able to visit included Dwelling Places and Reformed Theological College (RTC). In both locations there are wonderful Ugandans and AIM missionaries working. It was so fun to see the Kingdom work others are involved in here! As we left RTC, we were reminded of our ultimate mission no matter where we are in the world!




Today, we also had the opportunity to venture out into the city and navigate public transport. We were led by a couple of young women who were so patient with us in teaching us the necessities to getting in and out and around Kampala! What a joy it was to be in their company! We caught taxis into town, walked some of the inner city streets, and hired bodas! Among the sites we were able to see was the hotel Carolyn and I stayed at our first trip to Uganda, the post office (a necessity for me in mailing letters back home!), a bookstore (another delightful encounter in which I found one of my favorite authors - Charles Dickens), and Garden City (where we enjoyed a delicious lunch)!








Lunch was another experience worth sharing with you all. The food court operates very differently here. 1. They personally guide you to a "recommended" seat. 2. Every choice of food vendor personally brings you a menu. 3. They proceed to stand over your shoulder as you read the menu waiting for you to place your order. Talk about pressure! I ended up bailing and ordering the same as the woman who was mentoring me along the way. It ended up being a good choice :)

Overall, my day in the city renewed my heart for this country. The last few days at Matoke Inn have been wonderful, and I've had the very best accommodations! However, it felt so great to be amongst the people. It was worth the headache.

After the crazy day in the crazy city we returned to Matoke Inn. Not long after our arrival back, we were greeted by new guests who are coming on the mission field to do long term missions. Among them were a fellow Nebraskan and a man who will be a team member of mine in Mbarara! What a breath of fresh air it was to hear about the city that will soon become my home! Not to mention, a couple of days ago the same girls who were in Carolyn and I's stateside orientation made their way to Matoke Inn after six weeks of serving here in Uganda. What fun it was to be reunited and this time in Africa!







To top the day off, some of us were able to engage in conversation at Good African Coffee, a coffeeshop down the road. It wasn't quite Scooter's, but it will do for now! Being in the coffee shop environment renewed my spirit! :)



Today I received a word of encouragement from my dear friend Alicia,


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phillipians 4:6-7


Little did she know I would need this word at this moment in time! What a great reminder to us all that God is in control of all and to consistently go before Him!


Thank you for your continued prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your blog! I love Kampala and it's fun to see you go to many of the places that I love about it. Eating at Garden City is quite the experience, for sure.

    I live just down the street from RTC... actually my neighbor is Marsali- who is the nurse there at Dwelling Places.

    And to think, I just ran into at Panchero's in Omaha. :) Fun stuff.

    Praying for you as you prepare to head to Mbarara.

    Peace,
    Ryan Y

    ReplyDelete