Tuesday, September 20, 2011

All your works praise you, Lord

Growing up in Waterloo, Nebraska, I went to Waterloo Public School from kindergarten through my freshman year of high school. The whole kindergarten through twelfth grade school was in one building and had less than 150 students combined. On days that I discovered we were having a pep rally, assembly, or a speaker I was filled with excitement. I loved watching the entire school file into the gymnasium to listen to either idolized upperclassmen or the highlighted speaker for the afternoon.

Martise Ivy is a name none of you probably recognize. Yet, I remember being in middle school and listening to the WNBA player speak to us about motivation and striving for excellence. As I sat there I was transfixed by her words of encouragement and believed with all that I was I could persevere to become what I wanted to be. At that time, I think I was hoping to play in the Olympics for the U.S.A. Women’s Hockey Team. I remember thinking to myself how cool it would be to motivate students the way she was with my words.

This weekend I got to live my long lost childhood dream, not by playing in the Olympics, but by speaking to an assembly of girls at Kyiezooba Girls’ Secondary School about the God I love and worship.

Saturday morning, Seb, Primrose and I piled into a matatu (taxi bus) that we tracked down near the post office. These public taxis are designed to hold 12-15 passengers; however, it isn’t uncommon to see 25 people packed in. I was pleased when ours had 20 passengers. When I was ushered into the front seat, I breathed a heavy sigh of relief. Despite that fact that the front seat is typically the most dangerous in the event of an accident, it was a risk I was willing to take. Only so many people can squeeze up there making my ride a little less uncomfortable than those sandwiched in the back. After a rather uneventful and quick ride, we arrived at our destination and were welcomed by the administration of the school. We enjoyed a Ugandan lunch, and then the three of us were led to the hall where the fellowship we would be speaking at would take place. I was informed that the crowd I was speaking to would be of about 200 girls. As I entered the hall, I was greeted with the sound of ethnic drums and an array of beautiful praise songs. It didn’t take long to realize the entire hall was packed, making the audience closer to 800 girls. What an introduction to public speaking.



Praise be to God that I was comfortable and confident before them! It was a touching moment when I realized that I had once dreamed about being a public speaker, and that dream was coming true in Uganda. God works in such unique ways and truly loves to give us the desires of our hearts!

The weekend was such a delight for me. After our speeches that afternoon, we retreated for tea before going back to meet with girls individually. As girls lined up to ask questions, seek advice and share their hearts, I was overwhelmed at the responsibility that comes with leadership. Truly a humbling experience and it made me realize my true level of dependency on God.

Saturday evening ended with a viewing of “Evan Almighty”. The sound system made the dialogue of the movie difficult to hear, so we tried putting on the captions. Despite how bad the sound was, in this “Ugandan version” of the movie the captions were worse. Quickly, we turned them off, but the girls chanted for them to be put back up. I don’t know if the movie itself was more entertaining or the awful interpretation of English that accompanied it.

I know I’ve spoken more than my share about my dismay for the many English variations here, but as the only American on this weekend excursion, my language patience was put to the ultimate test. The chaplain of the school continuously commented on my “complex” American accent. It made me want to pull my hair out. Doesn’t everyone know that Americans from the Midwest speak the clearest, least accented English in the entire world?!

Sunday morning, Seb gave the message and took advantage of opportunities to share truth. Following the sermon, we gave girls another chance to ask questions and discuss. It was so encouraging to be able to counteract lies with truth!

As our weekend in Kyeizooba came to a close, we were asked to visit and share an encouraging word with a family who had lost a son that week. I was very thankful that I wasn’t the one to share because I don’t know what you say in a moment like that.

Back in Mbarara, the power is still out. More rumors have circulated through as to the cause of it, but the most commonly confirmed one is that of the children throwing stones at the transformer. Our neighbor reported yesterday that Sunday there was a heated conversation that took place up the road between disgruntled civilians and the power company. Promises have been made that the problem will be fixed this week. I’m not holding my breath.

Yesterday, I discovered a little joint in town called “California Nails”. I had my first Ugandan pedicure, and I was overjoyed! It was a treasure of a find.

This week I’ve also discovered another pearl in town...a coffee shop! Yesterday, I went there to hide out for a while and have some quiet time. The owner sat down with me to talk about coffee shops in America. He went on to tell me about his difficulty in learning to steam milk. I jumped at the opportunity to offer my assistance, and today I went back to experiment with their espresso machine! The owner told me that anytime I’m in there and want to make my own creation, I’m more than welcome! How exciting! I think I may have just found myself a recreational job for the next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment