Saturday, September 3, 2011

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand.

Many, many topics ignite fiery passion within me, but one that never fails to yield a strong opinion on my behalf is that of education. As school is starting back up in America and students here in Uganda prepare to enter their third term, the part of me that loves to teach is stirring for action.

Last, Saturday I discovered that Sunday after church I would have the opportunity to travel 2 ½ hours to a village out in the Kamwenge district of Uganda to stay for a few days. Typically, home stays for our team members are done closer to Mbarara, but because our unit leader knew Beth, a teacher with vision and knowledge that gives life to education, Carolyn and I were blessed with the chance to stay with her. Not only did I have the wonderful counsel of Beth on the subject of school education, but I lived a hands-on experience of what it takes to live in Africa.

After spending 3 days in Kamwenge village with that woman and sharing and learning from her, my fire for education has been relit.

Beth is involved in a ministry that was inspired by a local man here in Mbarara. His vision for the people in Kamwenge is contagious. Especially when you see his inspiration and motivation behind everything they are doing in that village. Beth has begun a primary school that in just one year has wrangled in more than 50 local children. In addition to the early education primary school, Kamwenge Secondary Vocational School is also located on the same plot of land. Here, students are challenged to go through the formal education system or to engage in vocational industries. In everything that is happening in this village, sharing the love of Jesus Christ is at the center. In only a few short days of being out there, I was reminded of what my motivation for every second of every day should be! Sharing the love of Christ and making disciples.

During my time there, I was able to experience some of the “real Africa”. I learned to cook over a charcoal stove in the great outdoors. Making chapatti, boiling water, cooking g-nut sauce… whatever is baked, fried, or steamed, it all happens over the fire.





I walked like an African woman as we traveled from place to place on foot. During our walks, I observed African village life and practiced my struggling Runyankole with the locals. The smiles on their faces never fail to bring me joy when I greet them in their language. However, I’ve noticed that I know just enough of an introduction to make them think I know the language. It’s very deceptive. As soon as they begin responding, I’m lost. But, this upcoming week I’m going to begin language learning again, hopefully it will take root in my brain! Much to my delight, at the end of our stay with Beth, we were dubbed with the title of “Real African Women”. Women of Africa are “women of substance”, therefore, the honor was one that was not easily earned and is of high value to me!




Out of all of the wonderful experiences I had among Beth’s family and village, my favorite memories are from our evening fellowships. Between singing along to a live recording of Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton and practicing our African speeches through role playing, the laughs we shared will not be soon forgotten. Culture is an interesting thing, and my thoughts about it are continually evolving. So many different factors contribute to what makes up a culture and though we are separated by so many of those things, the love of Jesus Christ and universal qualities of humankind unite us.

Discussing Ugandan education with Beth, reminded me of how much I truly care about it worldwide. I don’t care what people say, I think there is some inherit value in learning alone. There is power to it. I believe the more we know, the smaller we become and the more we are aware of how much we actually don’t know. While there is power in education and it holds the keys to so many of the world’s issues, the vastness of it leads me back to our Savior. There is so much to understand, and the more I try to understand it, the more I become aware of the greatness of my Creator. It is only through Him that I am able to comprehend anything at all! Truly all learning is a gift, and I will continue to seek it! If you think you have a grasp on education, I would venture to say you’ve missed the point of it. The second that you think you can understand the many wonders of our God, is the moment that you’ve created a different god. He’s simply too infinite to understand.



“My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds, of your saving acts all day long – though I know not how to relate them all. I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign Lord; I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone. Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come.” Psalm 71:15-18

“By wisdom the Lord laid the earth’s foundations, by understanding he set the heavens in place; by his knowledge the deeps were divided, and the clouds let drop the dew. My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion; they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck.” Proverbs 3:19-22

“For the Lord gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding… Then you will understand what is right and just and fair – every good path. For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your sou. Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you…” Proverbs 2:8, 9-11


No comments:

Post a Comment