Wednesday, October 12, 2011

There is a time for everything

I'm fascinated by the changing of the seasons. Summer. Fall. Winter. Spring. Although it always feels like summer in Uganda, I’m not letting that stop me from celebrating fall. Last weekend I picked up a pumpkin in the market, and Monday, I decided to set to work on him. I’ve been determined to do some pumpkin-flavored baking, and making my own “puree” seemed to be the only option.

I decided that I couldn’t cut up my pumpkin without first taking the opportunity to carve him. It started as a fun, festive activity, however as my carving began to take shape, shame began to set in. My family would have been so disappointed in my work. It didn’t compare to previous years. In my defense, my knife was dull :) Nevertheless, my pumpkin was carved. Sadly for him, his life didn’t last long. After admiring my not-so-impressive creation, I dissected him and scraped out the goodies. I baked the pumpkin seeds and boiled the meat of the pumpkin.






As I spent the afternoon baking and reflecting about fall, I couldn’t help but think about how typically the season is a representation of things beginning to die. The thought of death also made me think of life and the many things in life I am thankful for. To me, life in itself is a gift. I took the opportunity to spend my fall afternoon celebrating life by praising God for everything I could think of to be thankful for. After thanking God for each person I could think of that I am thankful for, I transitioned to thinking more about death. Seems to me that one of two things can happen after a person’s death. One, people celebrate the life you lived and rejoice because you are with Jesus, or two, people mourn because the afterlife is uncertain and there is sorrow that accompanies uncertainty. I know with certainty that the day my funeral occurs, it will be a day of celebration. A celebration of my life lived for Christ alone. I fear that so many of us live “partially” for Christ, and yet is that even possible?






“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10

What keeps us from believing that? What keeps us from living our lives to the full each and every day?

“See, I set before you today life and prosperity, death and destruction… Now choose life…” Deuteronomy 30:15,19






Every moment of every day we have a choice to make. Now choose life, and take joy in knowing you can live it to the full.


No comments:

Post a Comment