Saturday, November 5, 2011

A cheerful heart is good medicine.

Apologies for my long delay in writing to you all. The longer I live in Uganda, the more numb I become to discerning what is actually newsworthy information! It takes a moment of stepping outside of my life and viewing it from the outside in before I can determine what to write.

Over the past few weeks, there have been exciting changes, dramatic events, and more adjusting to life in Mbarara. The most exciting was the addition of a new roommate! Meet Martha Hopper. Our dynamic duo household has transformed into the terrific trio. Her arrival has been the talk of the neighborhood! To celebrate her arrival, we had a nice little “family” dinner at our compound. Of course it was Carolyn and I’s specialty – Mexican. And, for a little dessert we delighted in monogrammed sopapillas! Martha is the latest addition to AIM team Mbarara. Our team continues to defy many missionary statistics as we add more and more young singles to it!






It just so happens that I have another teammate who teaches English grammar and literature at Ntare Boys’ School. It is a prestigious school here in Mbarara, and he so graciously allotted me the chance to come and observe last week! Plans are in the process of forming for me to come in this week, too. I’m continuously praying about what teaching is supposed to look like for me here in Uganda. As of now, I’m continuing to enjoy my time with Dara, and the term is flying. Being the wonderful student she is, I received my first “teacher” gift of the year – a beautiful arrangement of flowers picked specifically by her!







In other big news, a few days ago I officially obtained status as a real African. Many formulas circulate as to how this is reached, but the most common one I’ve heard is:


1. Receive an African name.
2. Get in a boda accident.

3. Contract malaria.


I know I’ve shared before how my dear friend Sophie dubbed me Ankunda, meaning He loves me. I was honored to receive such a name, but was fine at stopping there. I didn’t really feel the need to complete the following steps. Unfortunately, as I continue to discover, my will isn’t the one that always prevails. Number two is under speculation as to whether I’ve truly experienced this or not, but because I’m not overzealous to experience it at any greater level, I’m checking it off the list. Slipping off of a boda can count right? And, number three. Yes, good old malaria hunted me down on Wednesday night.

The word is scarier than the illness itself. Although, it truly hasn’t been a fun experience, I think the worst part was the finger prick when I was tested for it at the clinic. I don’t admit my weaknesses very often, but have no shame in letting it be known that I hate needles! Unfortunately, my mother wasn’t there to hold my hand. Joel did his best to remind me to keep breathing. Once again, I was reminded of just how thankful I am to be on this team! Because malaria is so common here, the Skinners happened to have medication on hand so I could begin it immediately. Therefore, I’m on the mend.

However, this inconvenient illness postponed Carolyn and I’s trip to Rwanda for the weekend. Interesting timing of it all. But, because I was supposed to be out of town, my weekend is cleared and set aside for rest and recovery. God truly does work all things out accordingly.

Power outages have continued to just be a way of life here, but I think we are finally reaching stability. We went another week without it as the power company worked to replace our transformer again. The terminology I’ve learned about power and electricity since moving to Africa has grown tremendously. I’ve also picked up a little saying from Zillah, my teammate from England, “Oh my life,” as she would say. It just seems to express how I’m feeling at times a little more accurately than, “Oh my word” or “Oh my goodness.” It also tends to work in a variety of contexts, just depending on your tone of voice.

In spite of malaria and delayed roadtrips, I’ve been reminded of what love in action looks like.

“Love must be sincere… Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” Romans 12: 9, 12-13.

It’s a reminder for me that nothing happens outside of the will of God and to remain joyful, patient and faithful. It’s a reminder to me of what God’s love can look like through the love of those who love Him. Get well pictures from Dara and Dade, surprise visits from my friend Primrose (even on her birthday!), phone calls from other beloved friends such as Sylivia, check-ups from the neighbors, and bedtime fable stories from Carolyn. Oh my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment