Thursday, June 14, 2012

Travels, Trials, and Teamwork

From Mbarara to Kampala to Jinja to Mukono to Kampala to Mbarara. If I had a map, I'd pinpoint the highlights of the last two weeks and keep this blog post short and simple. However, I don't have a map handy, and I'm too in love with words to not fully explain to you all the adventures, thoughts, and lessons learned from my recent Ugandan travels.

Before I ever arrived in Uganda, there was one thing that people kept telling me I would have to try. Of course, as I settled into living here, I learned of other adventure-seeking, sight-seeing places to go, but the one that Carolyn and I had settled on a long time ago was white water rafting down the Nile River. So last Tuesday with all of our preconceived notions, fears and excitements we, along with our teammates Martha, Connor, and Stephen, and then two other Americans who we previously didn’t know, went crashing down the Nile River.



More than once I thought about baby Moses in his little papyrus basket on the Nile. Praise God that He’s a sovereign God who made provision for Moses and kept that little baby safe in the reeds of the Nile and far from these life-threatening rapids. I couldn’t help but think that if we, secured in life vests and helmets in an inflatable boat with a guide, safety boats and safety kayaks, were scared for our lives, how much more danger was Moses in?! Anyhow, that’s all completely irrelevant to the story and not really applicable in any way.  

I realized on this thrill ride down the Nile that I’m definitely someone who can function much more efficiently with some instruction and clarity. Before each rapid, I wanted to know specific instructions for how I was to respond to each potential situation. The guide was so knowledgeable, kind and patient with me and all of us as he instructed us in how to survive each rapid in the event that the raft flipped (which it did... often). Knowing what I was supposed to do for each rapid made the ride so much fun for me and even in the midst of overturned boats, scraping rocks, and struggling to get back in the boat, I couldn’t stop laughing. I did, however, want to be affirmed that it wasn't our rafting skills that caused us to flip so often, but the nature of the rapid and the way we approached it. Much to my delight, the guide was quick to assure me that we were perfectly fine rafters, and I wasn't about to doubt him. I also realized how excited I am to begin working out at Mark Schellen’s again when I couldn’t pull myself back into the boat. Depressing. Thank goodness for the outstanding physical fitness of our guide who was not only pulling us all back into the boat, but was also flipping the boat over, and jumping and flipping into the boat during the rapids along with other kinds of tricks and skills.

Check out the progression of these photos: 




Some of my favorite moments of the afternoon on the Nile were the stretches of calm river where we were allowed to jump out and swim. It was so serene. I can’t explain the joy and beauty of the experience. The Nile River, such a prominent and historically significant river, spread out before me. The beauty of the nature that it consumed and was surrounded by left me speechless. Clouds settled in over us and it began to rain gently, but it only added to the peacefulness. Absolutely delightful. All too soon, we left the river and headed to our campsite for the night (which held other extremely peaceful, beautiful moments until the monkeys in the trees began throwing fruits and nuts from the trees down onto our tents in the morning).

The next day was the beginning of our Central Region Africa Inland Mission (AIM) Conference in Jinja. The five day conference was an opportunity for me to meet and talk with other missionaries within our organization who are located in Uganda and other countries. I was encouraged and inspired as I met with people from many different backgrounds and at different stages of life who are doing ministry for the glory of God and the sake of His Kingdom. However, despite all of the amazing individuals and families I met, I was overwhelmed by the need for Jesus in our world and the lack of people willing to live alongside others, love people, and share with them the hope for the nations. 

"Then he said to his disciples, 'The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. 
Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore to send out workers into his harvest field.'" 
Matthew 9:37-38

It's been heavy on my heart. I can't tell you where the Lord has called you to minister. I can't tell you what it is He's gifted you in or how He's done that. But, what I can tell you is that if you are a follower of Jesus Christ and you take a look at the world around, there's a need for the gospel. And, if we, the body of believers, aren't sharing it, then who is? Whether it's your hometown, a nation on the other side of the world, or even the people nearest to you, there's a need for the truth of the saving blood of Jesus Christ, the grace of God our Father and the hope that is within that to be shared, to be known, and to be lived. I'm not talking about a gospel that preaches a "belief" in a distant God or an insurance belief that hopefully will keep you out of hell when you die. I'm not talking about a religion that requires you to do enough good things and show up to church on Sunday morning so that you're good with God. I'm talking about a life-transforming, world-changing gospel - the gospel within the scriptures that doesn't lead to a lukewarm religion, but to a deep and intimate love and relationship with our God through the grace He's shown us.

I was so challenged by those within our organization serving in some tough places where so many people are unwilling to go. It's one thing to be inspired about what people are doing, but to actually live it out in response to it is another. As followers of Christ, we are bound to face trials, but I can't explain the amount of respect I have for these people. I was reminded of the many blessings I have in the amount of support I receive from family and friends back home, friends I've made here, my organization, and my teammates on the ground with me here in Mbarara. They've become a kind of family to me, and it's an honor to serve alongside them.

"Then Jesus came to them and said,
'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations,
baptizing them in the name of  the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 
and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. 
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.'"
Matthew 28:18-20

As the Central Region conference came to an end, I left feeling impassioned and empowered and with the hope and prayer of my ministries being fruitful. I'm continually more and more convicted about and convinced of the power of prayer in our lives as I see God at work. I pray that each one of us will be obedient to the call the Lord has given us to make disciples, and I'm also asking you to pray. Please take the time to watch this video about unreached people groups and some missionaries within AIM ministering to them in South Sudan, one who happens to be a personal friend from the great state of Nebraska! And, then please take the time to pray for them.

The Voice of the Laarim from Bowen Parrish on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment