Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Let us love one another.

Heel, toe, docie doe, Come on baby let’s go boot scootin’.

For someone who desperately misses her weekly country dancing excursions with the girls, I’ve been waiting patiently (depending on whom you talk to) for the opportunity to break out line dances and do some two stepping with some friends here in Uganda. A girl can only do the dance to her own tune by herself so many times before she wants a partner or at least some one to join in.

Friday my dream came true. Some of my best friends came over to the house for our own little dance party.


I have been so blessed to establish relationships with these women through a small bible study we started at the university in town. It has been so refreshing to regain authentic and life-giving friendships in my daily life with other young women living their lives for Christ.

I have to let you know that the pumpkin I blogged about a few weeks ago is still being put to good use. Who knew one pumpkin would go so far? I’ve done immeasurable amounts of baking and freezing with it. And, come to find out, very few people in Uganda have ever used pumpkin in baking things such as muffins and cakes! So, it has been my pleasure to introduce one of my favorite delicacies to my friends. Therefore, no party was about to begin without first sharing the pumpkin cake Dara and I had made that afternoon. It was a dashing success and satisfied the taste buds of all :) After finishing our little fall snack, we cleared out the living room, brought out the drums, and hooked up our itunes’ playlists to the speakers as we allowed ourselves to indulge in the pleasantry of just being girls.

Being able to step to the left or to the right, jump forward or hop backward varies significantly from the footwork and hip shaking my Ugandan friends were trying to teach me to do. The desire to catch their rhythm was contagious; unfortunately, the ability to catch it was not. Three hours of ethnic culture dances to a couple of different Ugandan tribal beats, some Beyonce and Shakira, and finally some good old country dancing was enough to fool me though. And, there aren’t any video clips to prove me wrong.


As the neighbor boys continued slashing (the Ugandan version of mowing) our yard, I’m sure their imaginations were intrigued as to what was shaking in our house. Oh, little did they know...

The memories continue to make their mark on my heart every day that I'm given to live in this country.

“But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called, ‘Today,’…” Hebrews 3:13

I’ve been abundantly blessed with friends all over the world who build me up, encourage me, and spur me toward Christ. I’m such a lucky girl.

1 comment:

  1. We are so very lucky to have you in our lives too!! Very thankful that God has blessed this earth and my life with you!!

    ReplyDelete