Saturday, April 23, 2011

Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans.

It would be pointless to continue sharing this journey without filling in the details that have led to this point. Some may chalk things up to coincidence, chance, or may fail to even recognize significance in the details; however, it is in the finite details of life that God reveals Himself to me most intimately. Therefore, I feel compelled to share them.

In October of 2007, I was introduced to the country of Uganda. I remember sitting in a service at my church and feeling like God was pulling at my heart to go on a summer mission trip. During this time in life, God was transforming me. I had accepted Jesus as my savior when I was 12, but at the age of 18 was really just beginning to fall in love with Him. In this year, I began to experience the Holy Spirit. For unexplainable reasons, I knew I was going to Uganda that upcoming summer, and had faith that even though all odds were set against it, I'd be there.

In July 2008 I boarded the plane for Washington, D.C. It was the second flight of my life, and the first by myself. I didn't know a soul that I would come into contact with, let alone develop a lifelong friendship with.

After landing in D.C., I met my team and flew to London. During our 12 hour layover there, I began formulating friendships. See the girl standing with me below? Meet Carolyn Smellie during one of our first moments together. A friend who now holds a very treasured spot in my heart.





In my two weeks overseas, I experienced life-changing relationships. I fell in love with people and places that had completely altered my worldview and had firmly planted themselves in my heart. When I left home to go Uganda I didn't know my purpose in going, I just knew it was within God's will for me to go. When I left Uganda to come home, I still didn't know exactly why I had gone, but I knew that it was only the first chapter of what would become a much longer story.

In Gulu, Uganda, I roomed with Carolyn and another beautiful daughter of the King, Natalie. Our long days together and our late night talks formulated deep frienships. Carolyn and I were both enrolled in college and studying to pursue education careers. At Destiny Children's Home in Kampala, Uganda, we were introduced to the prospect of returning to teach one day. Carolyn and I looked at each other and the idea took root.



Carolyn was from Iowa, and I was from Nebraska. Far enough away, that if not for Uganda, we wouldn't have met. Close enough that since we had a new friendship, we could keep in touch. Over the next couple of years, we were intentional about meeting up periodically. Our conversations always led to our dreams of teaching together in Uganda one day, but our ideas of how that would happen differed. I wanted to go immediately after college graduation. She wanted to gain some experience teaching in the states before taking the leap. We didn't know what the future would hold, but had confidence in God's perfect timing and provisions.

I specifically remember a conversation between us where Carolyn said, "Don't you just have this feeling that one day we will be there together teaching? I just know it's going to happen. Maybe in our single lives, maybe with husbands and families. I don't know the details, but I know that it will."

I don't know if she remembers that discussion. That moment. But, I do. Because in hearing the words spoken, I believed it, too. Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." That's how it was.

Our ideal situations have been flip-flopped. I graduated and spent some time teaching in school districts here in Omaha. She is graduating in May. And, in August we are leaving together to embark on a new chapter of this story. It holds so many unknowns.

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23

God has been so faithful in working out the details of His plan, and I have no doubt that this will continue to be the case.

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another - and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24-25

Carolyn is a friend dear to my heart. Lately, it is at precisely the moment I need an encouraging word, a message of inspiration, that Carolyn has sent me one without me having said anything. Her love for Jesus pours out lavishly on others. I'm so excited to share this ministry together.

2 comments:

  1. Kelsea, as I pray for Carolyn, I am also praying for your preparations and God's timely provision for your needs. I hope to meet you one of these days!
    Carolyn's mom,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsea,
    It is an honor and privilege to watch you grow in the love and grace of our Father. From the nervous young lady approaching the mission team for support in your first mission to Uganda, to many missions in Mexico and now a return mission to Uganda. Your open heart to God's plan has been a witness to you allowing Christ to transform you. I will place you and Carolyn before the Throne in your preparation of the journey you are on with our Father!
    Blessings! --Lu

    ReplyDelete