Friday, December 23, 2011

Road Trips and Hedge Fires... the excitement lives on.


After waiting 7 hours for a bus (Check out Carolyn's Blog for details on that experience) to show up and take me to Kigali, Rwanda on Monday, it finally came. Except, instead of travelling to another African city, I ended up in America.

Okay, totally kidding.

But you could’ve fooled me. Time and time again, I caught myself staring out the window with my mouth wide open and questioning where I was. Some of my initial observations were:  
  • The roads. They were paved and smooth and had lines painted on them! But, it didn’t stop there. Reflectors. Reflectors lined the streets, street lights shined on the sides of the roads, and curbs existed. Stop signs, yield signs, and traffic lights were not only present, but obeyed.   

  • Traffic. Cars drove on the right (appreciate the pun? :) ) side of the road.      Boda Boda! Also known as motos in Rwanda, could only have one passenger. ONE! And, they are required to wear helmets. I didn’t see anyone riding side saddle, carrying a goat, or loaded down with a pile of 2 x 4s headed to a construction site.

  • Cleanliness. The streets were clean. I saw hardly any litter and observed women and men cleaning the streets and picking up any litter. Not to mention, the “Keep Kigali Clean” trash bins around the city. Absolutely, stunning.


And, those were only first observations. Observations made late Monday night, after waiting all day for a bus to arrive, a dark and somewhat sketchy walk across the border, and a bumpy, bus-rocking ride through hilly northern Rwanda. However, I feel the need to insert some disclaimers. First of all, I mean no disrespect to the missionaries in Kigali. I understand that there are many deeply rooted issues that go on beneath the surface. I believe missionaries are called all over the globe. And, I recognize that each of these individuals has made sacrifices and has had to make extreme adjustments in order to obey their callings from God. So as I go on raving and ranting about how much Kigali felt like America, I know I was only a 3-day tourist in the country, observing only the surface, which included tasty restaurants, new shops, and sidewalks.

One of the first places the girls and I hit up was the coffee shop, Bourbon. It was beautiful. From the finely furnished décor, to the smooth espresso and perfectly steamed milk it surpassed all expectations for a coffee shop experience. And, it was only the first.

 

We then wandered wide-eyed through the new Nakumatt, also known as Africa’s Wal-Mart or Target. We browsed the shelves of Mr. (High) Price, which contained new clothing. Yes. New. Clothes. Even though no purchases were made on my end, the smell of new clothes filled me with the same pleasure as if I had actually bought something worth being excited about.

After waiting out the rain (which proved we were still in Africa) we got in a taxi, figured out our bus tickets for the way back and then hired our first set of Rwandan motos to take us to Heaven. As if I didn’t already think I was there. At Heaven, we were treated to appetizers, a fine meal, and blankets to warm us from the chill of the Rwandan night. Heaven, indeed.


Wednesday, we had the opportunity to tour the Rwandan Genocide Memorial. The guide said it could possibly take an hour and a half. Three hours later, we made our way out, emotionally exhausted and teary eyed. I’m going to have to write about the experience in a blog by itself. In short, it was well done, very informative, and extremely moving.

After enjoying another café dining experience that consisted of a white mocha and vegetable Panini, our lovely hosts, The Gaskills, picked us up to take us to their house for the evening.

As we pulled into their neighborhood, once again I was in awe. Their neighborhood is part of a development plan called Vision 2020. Wow. There were street signs. There were other things, too, but that’s what I remember. Street signs. Are you getting the picture of why this so closely resembled America?

Finally, we pulled into the Gaskills’ compound. When we walked into their house, I cried.

Cried.

Reverse culture shock? I don’t know what was going on. The emotions of the day, of feeling like I was in a place close to home, topped off with walking into a home that felt, smelled and looked like a home was just a little overwhelming.

Fortunately, I was able to compose myself so that we could walk to Kigali International Christian School, where the Gaskills and many other missionaries work. Beautiful. The kindergarten through 12th grade school is home to many local missionaries, international students, and members of the Kigali community. Seeing an educational facility where God’s hand is so clearly at work was such a joy.

It was a well-spent three days of vacation, visa renewal, and ministry touring.

We arrived home Thursday afternoon, exhausted from the bus ride. I was napping in my room, when I heard Carolyn shout for us to come outside. Much to our surprise, our hedge was on fire. The neighbors were all fetching water and trying, unsuccessfully, to put it out.

“Oh my gosh! Call… ummm who do we call?!”

There’s no 911.

So we called everyone, and then Willis, our neighbor and local chairman. He’s the man with power in our community and luckily, our friend. He came marching over, very unhappily, at the situation. At this point in time, I was extremely thankful none of us girls were responsible for the torched fence line that used to be our hedge.


Since yesterday, we’ve had policemen, photographers, and the man who supposedly lit the flame in and out of our compound. The whole mess is still “under investigation” due to some similar events that have happened recently. However, currently in place are some mats hanging along our fence to ensure our sense of privacy. As I walked out of the gate yesterday to go for a run, the neighbors along the burnt fence were all waving at me. Yes, I miss the hedge.

Needless to say, this week has held many moments worth remembering, and we still have a few days before Christmas. Oh, Nkokonjeru, what will happen next?


1 comment:

  1. Kelsea,
    I very much enjoy your posts they are well written and very interesting, letting us have a peek into your current life. As Christmas approaches I hope that the celebration of Christ's birth through you can be spread even wider. The work you and all of the missionaries perform makes our world a better place. So you know who this is, I am your Grandmother's youngest brother Al living in Ohio. Having been away many Christmas's and other special days while in the military some 27 years I understand the want at times to be with your family and friends. Reflecting back on my experiences I can say I have many great memories of those times and places just as you will have, when, one day you will look back at your current experience. Susan and I hope you have a great Christmas with your current family and friends. Merry Christmas! Al

    ReplyDelete