Sunday, March 18, 2012

It's a beautiful ride.

I went into Kampala all by myself.

Am I prideful? Yes. Am I ashamed to admit that? No.

I've been guided into the city of Kampala many times by Ugandan friends and other missionaries, but last week I ventured into the crazy, hectic, confusing city for the first time all by myself.

My journey began when I left Matoke Inn, Africa Inland Mission Central Region's guesthouse located outside of Kampala. I rode a boda down to Entebbe Road and found a taxi to ride into town. As we neared the taxi park, I paid the conductor, hopped out and crossed the street. "Stop, look, and listen" doesn't apply here. Sorry, Mom. "Walk fast, dodge, and continue moving" are the rules I apply to crossing the street in Kampala, and it's no easy feat. I actually purposefully try to not cross the street, and instead, plan out routes in my head to get from point A to point B without having to cross the street by myself. Should that be embarrassing? If you've been to Kampala, I don't think you'd think so. Anyhow, I crossed the street by myself to get to a boda stage and from there I rode to my destination in the city where I was able to meet up with a long term missionary involved in university discipleship. It was a delightful and encouraging meeting! After spending the afternoon with her, I hopped another boda that took me to the taxi park. I wish I could accurately describe Kampala's old taxi park. Hundred's of white, metal, death-trap-looking vans that are poorly labeled, yet somehow, purposefully organized within the lot based on where they are going. It's threatening, hard-to-navigate, and confusing. But, I did it! I got on the correct taxi and made it back to Matoke Inn without getting lost! It was a little confidence booster for my African-living mindset.


Prior to this trip to Kampala, I harbored an extremely negative perspective of the city. However, it's redeemed itself for me. I noticed many differences in the city since August, some of which included improved cleanliness and even trash bins labeled, "Keep Kampala City Clean", and also less congestion on the sidewalks making it easier to walk and not feel like I was being trampled. In addition to that, I was able to meet other missionaries, network together, and be encouraged by them, all while enjoying a well-steamed latte with quality roasted espresso. Clearly, that's the easiest way to my heart!

A highlight of the trip was definitely the day that Carolyn and I went to Destiny Children's Home to visit our sponsor children. The last time we'd seen the girls was in the summer of 2008, and they have grown up so much since then!
In 2008...
... and, in 2012.
One of the most notable realizations of the visit though wasn't how much they had changed, but how much I had changed. Visiting Destiny was one of the most memorable moments of my first trip to Uganda and being back there made me realize how much has happened within me since then. I'm not viewing this country for the first time, but with a better understanding of the culture and of the world and of me and of my beliefs. And, I have only begun learning. The way that all ties together and affects my viewpoints and my stances makes me realize that I have opinions and beliefs about things I wasn't even aware of a couple years ago. It was such a testimony to me about how God truly has been faithful in my life and has continued to be at work within me even when I'm not aware of it.

"... being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6


On a lighthearted note, here are some things that made me laugh in Kampala:  

The English teacher in me cringes.

"Titanic Quality"

I wonder if Obama was there for the grand opening?

 "Smiles guaranteed"... Really?

 Where am I again?




No comments:

Post a Comment