Monday, March 5, 2012

Normal? What does that even mean?


Life never fails to excite me and give me a good laugh. I’d be lying if I said there weren’t days that I want to cry, but when it’s laugh or cry, I have to go with laugh. I know I’ve probably said it before, but if there’s one word I can use to describe the way I’ve been challenged this year, it’s flexible. Being flexible. Accepting situations for what they are. Embracing a way that isn’t my own. Learning to thrive in a multitude of environments, regardless of circumstances.

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!” Philippians 4:4

The last week and a half has been one of many experiences, fun memories, and opportunities to be joyful.

Since returning to the beautiful country of Uganda after my visit home, I’ve been intentionally spending time with the university girls in addition to homeschooling Dara. My friends and I kicked last weekend off by having a sleep over at the girls’ flats near campus. After having our weekly bible study, enjoying dinner together, and hanging out at our church’s Friday night gathering, we went back to the flats and had a girls’ night. We brought in mattresses from another room, laid them out on the floor, cuddled up in our pajamas and blankets, made some hot chocolate and put in Tangled. As I was lying there, I couldn’t help but smile at how wonderful it was to just enjoy the lovely young women who I get to do life alongside. It just felt so normal. I hate that I use that word because I don't have any idea what it means anymore, but sometimes it's just how I feel. Praise God for authentic relationships.

I've adopted the theory that if you want to spend time with the university students, go to where the university students are. And, in Mbarara that happens to be M.U.S.T., the local university. Therefore, starting last week, I’ve begun spending a few afternoons a week camping out on a bench on campus. It’s funny to me how often these students have lecturers cancel their classes, and it’s funny to them to see me sitting at their campus for no apparent reason. While the educator part of me hurts inside at how often they don’t have lectures, the part of me that just wants to spend time talking and fellowshipping with my friends rejoices! I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to spend much more time with them by becoming a part of their space.

Another exciting part of the last week was my first (and hopefully last) experience with tear gas. I won’t go into details about it, but I’ll tell you it works. Burning, stinging, tearing. Just thinking about it can make me feel the pain of it. Due to the experience, my Friday night plans were rearranged and instead Carolyn, our friend Grace from Kigali, and I spent the evening at home.

This Saturday, my dear friend and neighbor had invited me to go to visiting day at her daughter’s school. Honored at the invitation, I quickly accepted. The plan was to go to Kasheka and back. The 10 minute drive that took two hours.  Before we even got out of Mbarara, our car broke down three times. The third time, the car had broken down in the middle of the road on a hill. Thankfully, we were pushing downhill. The general population got a good laugh at seeing a white girl help push the car, and I was happy to give it to them. It also helped us reel in a few extra helping hands. After deeming the car irreparable for the time being, we began walking to Ishanyu. It wasn’t far, and once we arrived, we waited for another car to come pick us up. The school in Kasheka was about 10 kilometers away, and I’m confident that I could’ve walked the distance at a leisurely pace in the amount of time we sat waiting for the next car to come and get us. Finally, we made it to the school and got to sit with our friend for about 20 minutes before visiting day was over. It was quite the trip.

The grand finale to the weekend was last night’s All-Campus Praise Rally at the university. It was a conjoined effort put on by two local churches, which have large student populations, and the student fellowship of the university. It was such a joy to see so many students, the body of Christ, brought together for a night of worship. I was so impressed by the organization, the collaboration, and the amount of students who came. But, greater than all of these was the pleasure I also had in reflecting upon the glory of my God. I left with a strong sense of encouragement.

Life here has a way of being completely what I’d expect it to be and completely surprising at the same time. The normalcy of my life here compared to my life in America sometimes blows me away. And, yet the way in which I respond to notsonormal situations also surprises me sometimes. Sometimes something happens and later I wonder, why was I not shocked by that? But, it’s also in those times that I rejoice in the way God has molded me to be able to not just survive, but to live, to embrace, to be joyful in all situations. Glory to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment