Wednesday, March 14, 2012

A promise and a name.

I’m not writing about this because I’m an expert at it. If you could tip the top off of my head and read my thoughts and if you could open up the door to my heart and search its depths, you would know that I’m the furthest thing from that. But, it’s relevant to my life because it’s present in my life. And, its name is fear.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9

Promises. Placed specifically and purposely all throughout the Bible. Promises, assurances, and guarantees - from God.

So why, when assurances are easily accessible for me to find that were given to me, do I find myself at times crippled with fear? Afraid to make decisions? Fearful of the unknown? Of disappointing others? Of compromising my future?

Because it’s in those moments that I’ve forgotten who I am.

“For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, ‘Abba  Father.’ Now if we are children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.” Romans 8:14-17

I’m not my own, and I’m not on my own.

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10

Really, it’s all quite simple.

“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you…” Matthew 28:19-20

And, once again there’s a promise that accompanies those instructions.

“… and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” Matthew 28:20

As I seek the Lord and follow the Spirit, the evidence of that will reside in my soul.

“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7

2 comments:

  1. Great post again, you are my favorite blogger. I wish we would have spent more time together at church.

    On Wednesday night I was tucking Eden into bed and she looked at me and said, “I don’t want to sleep here because I’m scared.” I told her not to worry because monsters and bad guys don’t come here because they are scared of daddy. I told her to put her confidence (absence of fear) in her father, not herself. Of course, our Heavenly Father is much stronger than I am.

    Jesus said, “Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. Father, glorify your name!”  Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” (John 12)

    Jesus brings up the idea that we all wrestle with, God please save me from this suffering. God please grant me a way out. God don’t make me walk through the valley. God don’t let me hear discouragement. God make it easier for me. God, help me I’m scared. Jesus answers it with something outright crazy and comforting - “No it was for this reason that I came!”

    Jesus faces his fear head on, and with joy, because He believes in His Father.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, thank you for the encouragement! I love that you use the word "wrestle" because it seems to fit the decisions we are to face and make as follows of Christ so perfectly.

      While I didn't get the opportunity to spend time with you guys when you lived in Omaha, I've been actively following the status on your adoption through your blog and praying for you guys. Thank you for your faithfulness through it all. What an encouragement.

      And, I hit the point in my own bible reading plan where I've reached the book of Leviticus... was glad to find out someone I knew was preaching on it. Truly have been appreciating, learning from, and challenged by your sermons! I hope you'll keep putting them on itunes :)

      Delete