Sunday, April 15, 2012

Get Timeline Now

For the longest time, I had a huge internal battle going on. I was reminded of this problem every time I got on Facebook. It was a dilemma for me, and it plagued me every I went to a friend's page. 

I couldn't decide if I should "Get Timeline Now" or not. 

Well, after much debate, many sleepless nights, and some friend counselling, I did it, and I feel like a new woman. It's like I've had a make-over. These internal feelings based on the appearance change of my Facebook page may reveal that I spend way too much time on the social networking site or that I have some severe identity issues. Either way, so far I'm really enjoying it, and have decided that time lines are cool. What a great way of being able to reflect on life and the Lord's promptings and provisions throughout. So, because of the inspiration I received from my Facebook obsession, I decided to make a little timeline of the journey God's taken me on in both bringing me to Uganda and sustaining me here.

July 2008
For reasons I didn't know at the time, God led me to Uganda on a short two-week mission trip that awakened my heart to the world. 
Working alongside missionaries in Gulu.
Meeting my sponsor child, Claire.
August 2010-December 2010
I began intentionally praying about coming back to Uganda, the country that had been on my mind since my visit in 2008.

January 2011
I applied for a one-year contract as a short-term missionary with Africa Inland Mission.

Mid-March
I was officially approved to move to Mbarara and received the go ahead to start raising support for the year. Tentative departure date: August 2011. Date to have support raised by: July 2011

Early April
Sent out support letters.

June 2011
Traveled to Pearl River, New York for orientation and training for the next year of being a missionary. (Only at about 30 percent of having enough support to come)

July 3, 2011
I was supposed to have my support raised, and I didn't. A couple of men from my church helped raise awareness of what the Lord was doing in my life by creating a video for me. Those closest to me rallied around me and continued praying that if this was the Lord's will, he would provide. By July 15th, I'd reached full support!

August 2011
I said my good-byes and headed to the southern hemisphere where I quickly began learning culture by spending time with a family in the village for a few days. I experienced severe homesickness, and asked the Lord how in the world he was going to sustain me for the whole year. (He's been so faithful :) )


September
My introduction to living in Mbarara was rough as we went for over 20 days without electricity due to neighborhood children throwing rocks at the transformer. It resulted in early bedtimes, cold showers, and lots of reading. We spent a lot of our time out of the house and getting to know the community, which involved meeting our friends Bright and Doreen who owned a little espresso machine and cafe!

October
Relationships continued to develop as our dear friend Sophie invested time in us, teaching us the language Runyankore, Ugandan living skills, and a whole lot about the beauty of friendship. On another note, Dara and I were hard at work at school, spending more time on developing writing skills and reading than she's ever had to before (my math and science skills just aren't up to par, but she is so patient with me!).


November
My small group at the university really began developing authentic relationships and we started moving from mere acquaintances to friends. Meanwhile, at the house, Martha, Carolyn and I expanded our cooking and baking knowledge by experimenting with new recipes, baking from scratch, and creating our own Thanksgiving feast with the help of our friend and teammate Stephen.

December
University students went on break for holiday, and I spent a lot of time hanging out with the neighborhood kids, Santa came to town, and we traveled to Rwanda.



January
We brought in 2012 with a night of fireworks and dancing at Lakeview Hotel in town, and then the next day we celebrated the new year by killing a rooster and having a feast with our neighbors! It was a month of firsts. A new year, first rooster killing, and learning how to peel matoke were a few of them.


End of January- Beginning of February: Home Trip
On a Saturday night in January, I made the decision to go home for two weeks to spend time with family during a tough time due to some medical problems with my grandpa. Sunday morning I woke up, packed my bags and headed to Kampala, where I flew out that night. It was a decision I haven't regretted. My grandpa's health could still use your prayers, but the time and memories I had with him in the hospital are irreplaceable. Not to mention, the crazy moments of having all eight Kult children together in the same house. I was encouraged and refreshed by my time with family, dear friends, and my Relevant Community Church family.



February
I arrived back in Uganda safe and sound and made a smooth transition back into African-living, Praise the Lord. Upon getting back into Mbarara, I immediately went on a weekend retreat/camping experience with the university students. What a blessing it was as I was able to form new relationships and deepen existing ones. It was a weekend that really built a foundation for the upcoming months of ministry and discipleship at the university. I also made a new friend in another missionary family who plays hockey! It took me back to the good ole days of my youth :) It wouldn't have been February without our special and much-anticipated Valentine's Day outing with the guys on our team. It was so fun to have an excuse to get dressed up and go out! Due to the interesting multi-cultural environment of our team, I was also introduced to Pancake Day, celebrated by the Brits. I'm bringing it back to the states, so be warned!



March
Carolyn and I traveled to Kampala where we met with other missionaries and did some networking. While we were there, we also met our sponsor children, Claire and Jane, who we hadn't seen since July of 2008. Time flies! Back in Mbarara, there were rumored lion sightings, which Dara and I decided to investigate for ourselves. Although, our skills didn't yield any discoveries and we received a lot of criticism, the lion was caught and killed a few days later in a neighboring village! It took a lot for us to not say some "told-you-so"s. And, actually, I think we did.




April
April showers bring May flowers. The same is true here as we are back in the rainy season. Even on this April morning as I write this, I should be in church, but am sitting at home enjoying a quiet morning of coffee, writing and fellowship instead because of the rain!

Easter weekend was such a joy for me, even being away from home, as I was able to spend mostly the entire weekend with my dear friends at university. I introduced them to the American concept of the Easter egg hunt, we enjoyed breakfast and church together on Easter morning, and fellowshipped together at a couple's house after service.


God-willing, there's more to the timeline that remains to be written, and I'm excited to see how it evolves. If I could draw a line to accompany the dates, I'm sure it would flow up and down as there have been times of extreme happiness and other times of trial. But through them all, the joy of the Lord has been present and the strength behind it all. God is good, He is faithful, and He has and continues to provide for me in all realms of life.
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 

God holds the plans. My riches are found in the glory that is brought to His name. My hope and my future aren't in the things and wishes that I cling to of this world, but in the desires that He placed in me when He gave me a new heart, a heart that longs for people to know the love of our Lord Christ Jesus. I'm reminded that no matter where the Lord calls you to or what it is you're doing, "the great opportunity is where you are." - John Burroughs


No comments:

Post a Comment