Saturday, April 21, 2012

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.


This week as I sat sidesaddle on the back of a boda in the middle traffic that apparently had no concept of any kind of traffic laws, I thought about how every day my chances of dying get higher. Clearly, I have the inevitable concept of time and the whole aging process working against me. I’m not really sure if that’s possible to combat. But, then there are so many other factors, too, like where you live, method of transportation, likelihood of exposure to who-knows-what, what you eat and so on. So, as I sat there and said a little prayer for the rest of my ride, I realized that the risk factors in my life for dying continue to increase.

I know that’s kind of morbid for many, but it kind of makes me laugh. Each day I live, I lower my own life expectancy rate. I thought about the alternative of that, which would be playing it safe and taking all the precautions I’m supposed to. But, that kind of made me wish that living that way would actually increase my chances of dying sooner. And, thus I discovered that living life to the full, regardless of the supposed risk factors, is the better choice.

To calm the fears of those beloved friends and family members who read this and have decided that I need to be on a plane home asap and chained to my bed, I feel it’s necessary to note that I do participate in some activities that are supposed to increase your chances of living longer or at least give you better health in the midst of your living. And, one of those is running. For the past several years, I’ve come to truly enjoy the pastime of running; however, that is mostly just what it has been. A hobby. A chance to hang out and talk with my dear friend Pam. An opportunity to race my sisters.  An outlet for letting off some steam. An excuse to not feel so guilty about the amount of ice cream sandwiches I ate earlier in the day. It’s been that kind of thing.

And, it still is. But, living in Mbarara has caused me to take it up at least one notch because the hills in this town are treacherous compared to the flatlands of the Midwest and because one of my main running partners, Justus, is ridiculously better than me and refuses to let me slack. So, not to any credit or effort of my own, but due to circumstances my running has improved, or at least been more consistent since moving here.

Due to the hard work of some teammates, friends, and organizations in Mbarara, the idea of exercise and racing is catching on here, and today I got to be a part of a community 5k race! The race was scheduled to start at 8 a.m., but starting times tend to always be rough estimates. Unfortunately, by about 8:30, a steady rain had begun to pour down with some traces of lightening causing all of us to take shelter before starting the race. 

As is the case stateside, these races also tend to be for the benefit of a local organization or cause and today it was for an organization called Amagara Masya, a rehabilitation and reintegration program for children who have made their homes on the streets of Mbarara. During the time we sat waiting for the rain to clear, we gathered together to hear from some of the organization leaders and listen to a few of the children’s testimonies.

Earlier this year, I was blessed with the opportunity to spend a few nights working alongside some missionaries and Ugandans who ministered to street children through a local church’s outreach program. There was a tremendous communication gap between the boys I talked with, and I didn’t get to see them often, but the few times I was able to spend time just being and laughing with those boys there were a couple who really pulled at the strings of my heart. I would occasionally run into them in town, but it had been at least a couple of months since I’d seen them around. Thinking about the possibilities of where they could have gone or why I hadn't seen them would cause an anxiousness in me that only prayer could put to rest. In the depths of my heart I worried about them, praying for the Lord to protect them and care for them wherever they now were. 

Well, as we gathered together to hear from the organization, I recognized one young boy from those very nights of ministry! I called his name and he came over to me where I was greeted with a smile of recognition and a warm handshake. I quickly asked him if he had seen the other little boy for whom I had been praying for. One of the leaders heard me asking for this specific boy, and called him over, too! As he came over to me, I gave him a hug and rejoiced in my inner being at God’s provision. The two young boys who I had been specifically praying for had been taken in by Amagara Masya where they are receiving love, food, clothing, and the chance to go to school again. The light in their eyes, the hope they now have, their clean clothes and healthy faces make me rejoice throughout my entire being. As one of the boys said, they now look like "other kids who have people that care about them." I can’t explain the amount of joy that gives me and how much it causes me to turn back to God and praise His Holy Name. God is so faithful to hear us and hold to His promises. Why don't we ask for the things He longs to see happen more often?!


"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives: those who seek find; and to those who knock, the door will be opened." 
Matthew 7:7-8

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Heb. 10:23


With the joy in my heart and the adrenaline in my veins, by the time we finally began the race I was feeling so alive! We had already received a lot of rain, and it was continuing to trickle down when we started, making for a muddy course and a cool run. Starting out the run I knew many faces of friends, but as I continued along the course, I kept encountering more individuals from the street ministry that I hadn’t seen in such a long time! Even though I don’t like to talk much during a hard run, I kept finding myself chatting with individuals along the way due to an overflow of joy at seeing them again.

This 5k race differed dramatically from one we’d have in the states for a few reasons. Because exercise is catching on and growing, the numbers aren’t quite as high as what you’d find in America. It also affects the competition level. There were a few serious men who train for races and wanted to compete. Many others do it simply out of natural talent. Luckily for me, many of the competitive “muzungu” racers failed to make an appearance because of sickness or responsibilities. So, I was able to be the first muzungu to finish! J Not a huge accomplishment considering the number of people competing, but I’ll keep that number to myself! I have to admit I was a little disappointed there wasn't a prize for being the first white person to finish, but the free t-shirt I won in the raffle made me forget it quickly. 


At the end of the race, I was filled with such joy and the more I reflect on the events of this morning, the more it continues to grow. God is so good. 

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; 
I have come that they may have life and have it to the full." 
John 10:10

I discover more and more that this life is but a blink of an eye, and only a mere fraction of what awaits us in eternity. My life is in Christ, and I have little to lose because of it. Regardless of the risk factors that seem to continue compiling in my life, I'd rather have the confidence and joy that comes with living a life full-out for Christ than live within the safety net of comfort and caution. 

"But whatever were gains to me I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him..." Philippians 3:7-9


1 comment:

  1. Wow, was I the fourth mzungu to finish? It sounds good when you don't know how many there were. ;)

    ReplyDelete