Monday, April 2, 2012

How Great is My God

“I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart! Where? Down in my heart…”

As I walked arm-in-arm from university to town with my girl friends to have dinner Friday night, we sang. We sang praise songs, we sang kids songs, we sang rounds, we sang anything we all knew or could easily teach each other. We tried singing beautifully, we experimented with different voices and we laughed together in a joyful harmony.

“Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree… Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree…

The beauty of relationship. Authenticity. Transparency. Joy. Love.

"Finally, all of you, be like-minded, be sympathetic, love one another, be compassionate and humble." 
1 Peter 3:8

After dinner, we all jumped on bodas and went to church. When we pulled up to the steps in front of the property and were paying the boda driver, he told me and my friend Aidah that we laugh too much. I don’t believe that is even possible, and I pray that I'm able to just keep on laughing all the days of this life. Not long into the Friday evening activities at church, a friend pulled me aside, and we sat outside of our church sharing secrets, laughing together, and telling each other life stories. Even later, and into the morning hours, I lay in my friend’s room pondering life, dreaming about the future, and sharing hope as we drifted off to sleep.   The joy of it all just gives life to my soul. 

In the morning, I rode a boda home, cleaned up, had breakfast with Carolyn and headed back to the church for a workday, similar to a Spring Cleaning day. There was a long, endless list of activities, such as painting, binding books, washing, and cooking, so I caught a lot of grief for spending most of the work day talking with the girls, but I made up for it (depending on who you talk to) when the Skinners let me join in on their work project. I wasn’t much help, and I didn’t do much, but what a joy even the little task was because I got to do it alongside my friends and mentors. I was blessed by the dynamic relationship I have with their children, as both their teacher and playmate, by getting to spend a fair amount of time convincing them that hidden treasure really does lie in the depths of the field next to the church. It’d be a horrible combination in any real-life teaching position, but one that works when you are each other’s family away from family, friends, co-workers, and mentors. 

The afternoon of work wrapped up, and the girls and I decided to work out together. It’s always been a favorite activity of mine to go for a run with a friend. When I’m in Nebraska, it’s most often my close friend Pam who shares those moments with me. They are so treasured to me because not only am I doing something physically healthy, but spiritually and emotionally, too, as I get to share my heart, receive advice and be encouraged. And, now I’ve finally got a small group of my closest girl friends to join me here too. Am I lucky or what?!

"But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called 'Today,' so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness." Hebrews 3:13

I'm blessed for sure. I am, once again, truly convinced that I am the luckiest girl on the face of the earth. I can’t explain the feeling in my heart, and all I can do is give praise to God for the many ways He’s provided for me. He’s provided for me in needs that I didn’t know I’d need met. He’s provided for me over abundantly, allowing me to enjoy things and find pleasure in so much that I never knew I’d get the opportunity to.

"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be the glory for ever and ever. Amen." Philippians 4:19

And, it goes even further. Because not only has God been over faithful to me here, but that He’s been faithful to me there, too. I’m so blessed by the Skype conversations I get to have each week, the unexpected letters and packages that make it through Posta Uganda, and the prayer and financial support of so many beloved friends back home. I know that I don't fully grasp the magnitude of how blessed I am to have life and love in so many places. God, I praise you, and I give you glory. 

Today, I got a phone call from my friend Rhona in Kampala. What a joy she is to me and such a blessing that even though we don't even live in the same city in Uganda, we are able to share in such a beautiful friendship. This afternoon, I received a package from my dear friend Jamie. I was able to spend the evening hanging out with a couple of friends from university and then having dinner with Carolyn. This beautiful life I live. 

Last night, I delighted in spending the evening with such a wide variety of friends at our church's Easter production. It was by far the most comical production of the crucifixion I have ever seen for so many reasons except for what actually happened on the night of the crucifixion, but a great reminder to me of who my source of life is, of who it is that I can give thanks to for this life I've been given. What would the foundation of all of these life-giving, joyful, and transforming relationships be without the relationship we each have with Christ? There would be no solid foundation. The level of joy, trust, intimacy and encouragement wouldn't hold a candle to what we share now. And, it's because together we live lives for Christ. This life is hard, and it's even harder when you're alone. There are challenges; there are trials. And, yet with God, there is also joy, and there is peace. 

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills will burst into song before you and all the trees of the field will clap their hands, instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper, and instead of the briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the LORD's renown, for an everlasting sign, that will endure forever."
Isaiah 55: 12-13


No comments:

Post a Comment